Wednesday, March 3, 2010

The last four years


About four years ago I realized there were a few things wrong in my life. 1. I was 40 pounds overweight, 2. No workout regimen, 3. Drinking and "other" things were what I looked forward to. You can ask what the "other" means, but I'm definitely not writing them down anywhere.

I don't know what happened, but there was a spark at just the right moment and my father intervened and signed me up for the Escape from Alcatraz Triathlon and Training Camp. Training from near square one was one of the hardest things to do. I was a top track star in High School for Pete's sake! I couldn't run three miles without incredible pain in my back, or just screaming lungs the moment I hit a hill. I was no longer the college kid who could be out all night, get up for class, then run 10 miles. It was a humbling experience, but there was a drive it created in me I hadn't felt in a long time, and I liked it!

Fast forward to 2009....

My life had changed for the better and I completed and began to excel (personally) in numerous triathlons around the Bay Area and Arizona. It was time to up the ante and go for a Half Ironman! All my races were Olympic distance, and while I really enjoy the all out mayhem these bring, the longer distance is what I wanted to both challenge me as well as continue the progression to becoming fit again.

Joining my tri club was the best help for this. SF Tri Pep's were instant friends and we all helped each-other reach our goals. A great result at Wildflower, followed by Ironman Boise 70.3 and to cap off the year with an intense Clearwater 70.3 meant only 1 thing, doing a full Ironman in 2010.

While triathlon has changed my life for the past few years, and probably caused me to push off some personal and work interests, I can't say I regret any of it. 2010 is looking to be a great year and I mean to make the best of this second youth that has been granted to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment